Betty Butter brings you her Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta drenched in Red Wine Syrup. Combining cream, shiraz and chocolate into one fabulous dessert that is sure to dazzle your guests, she swears it is super easy peasy? Do we believe her? The proof as they say is in the pudding!
Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta with Red Wine Syrup
- 2 teaspoons powdered gelatine/ 1 leaf gelatine
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon of brandy
Plus – 1 block of Very good quality dark chocolate for serving
- place the gelatine in a little water to dissolve
- Put the cream, cream, icing sugar and vanilla in the saucepan over medium heat and bring to just under boil.
- Remove pan from heat, add the gelatine and brandy
- Pour the panna cotta mixture into 4 moulds and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
Red Wine Syrup
- 4 cups of a good shiraz
- ¼ stick of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup of caster sugar (around 200g)
- 100ml water (just enough, rough estimate)
- 100ml liquid glucose
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
- Put the wine and spices in a good stock pot and boil it down in half.
- Ina separate pan combine the water, sugar and glucose syrup and stir until sugar dissolves, the bring to the boil. As soon as boils, heat for further 1-2 minutes until lightly coats back of spoon
- Combine the red wine reduction with the syrup, return to the heat and cook until coats back of a spoon
- Return to the boil until it looks syrupy, glossy and coats the spoon.
- Cool over an ice bath
De mould Panna Cotta onto a plate, pour red wine syrup over top of panna cotta to pool around base of panna cotta, decorate with shaved dark chocolate.