Summer is here! Let’s start at the very beginning, Vanilla Bean Ice cream… Because vanilla is sooo a flavour! And thus begins our very exciting summer into all things Ice cream… yay!!! Do you know how super easy it is to make your own delicious ice cream in your very own home? All you need is a little patience for the process… and the creamy deliciousness will be all yours!! yum yum!
Vanilla Bean Ice cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1200 ml of double cream
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- pinch of salt to taste
- Whisk the egg yolks with 600ml of the cream.
- In a saucepan put 600 ml of double cream, brown sugar and
vanilla bean paste and let it heat up to just below boiling point.
- Add the warmed cream/sugar mixture to the bowl of yolk/cream in a steady stream, whisk constantly and return to the stove again over medium heat. Don’t forget to turn continuously to ensure that it won’t boil. DON’T LET IT BOIL – your egg yolks will scramble.
- The custard is ready when it is thick enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon – so if you run your finger over the back of the spoon it leaves a clean line.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the warm custard into a bowl, sitting in an ice water bath, stir until it is completely cooled.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Transfer the ice cream into the ice cream maker and churn according to the instructions.
- At the very end of the churning process, add the Brandy – my secret ingredient.
- Place it in a freezer-safe container.
Serve alone or with some yummy cake. Enjoy!