I sent these in to Bobby’s Class for his birthday. I think the kids gave me 5 stars. In the word’s of JC’s daughter E “Mommy Bobby’s Mommy makes the best cupcakes. And I’m sorry to say, even better than yours”, then she whispers conspiratorially “It’s the icing, it’s the best.” Children and my greatest and worst critics. According to Bobby “Mommy, the cupckakes, would be nice, but there’s too much icing”. Can’t win.
- 100g light brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 225g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 240ml buttermilk ( homemade 1cup buttermilk : 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 225g plain flour
- 1 & 1/2 teasp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicab soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Betty’s Secret Weapon
- preheat oven to 200C, line your muffin pan with muffin cases ( I like pretty pink ones for raspberry muffins, remember we also eat with our eyes)
- Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy, add the vanilla bean paste.
- Add the eggs to the creamed sugar/butter/vanilla.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb soda and salt. mixing thoroughly.
- Alternate half the buttermilk with half the flour mixture into the butter/sugar/eggs in the mixing bowl, roughly mixing between each addition. At the end give a thorough mix.
- I use a batter bottle distributor to make sure I don’t spill my precious batter into anything but my muffin cases. half fill the cases.
- Bake for roughly 22 minutes and remove from the oven
- Allow to cool slightly in the pan then transfer to a wire rack for evenly distributed cooling.
- Smother in layers of Betty’s Secret Weapon.