Are you team strawberry? Well this is the recipe for you. I’m team raspberry, but if I say so myself, this is yum! makes 3 pots and change in an hour.
- 1350g of fresh strawberries – cleaned, de-stalked, quartered.
- juice of 2 lemons
- 4 granny Smith (Champagne variety is my favourite) apples – washed, peeled and grated
- 350g of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla bean paste
- Place your strawberries in a large non-stick pan with the lemon juice over a mild heat. The strawberries will begin to juice nicely.
- Once the strawberries are 60% juice, add your grated apples, sugar and vanilla bean paste. increase to a moderate heat and allow the jam mixture to heat until the sugar is completely dissolved
- Increase to moderate-high heat and bring to the boil for 5 minutes, then simmer on moderate heat as the jam thickens.
- Once the jam takes on a rich dark deep red color (in comparison to its original pink), reaches 110C on your sugar thermometer ( once you know your jams, you’ll be like me, I do mine by sight only), it will be thicker like jelly when cooled on a saucer.
- Take off the heat and pour into hot jam jars to just to the top. Close the jam jar and invert for 5 minutes to seal. Store in a cool dark place.