My Babycakes loves his bird. In the game department he is particularly fond of Duck, especially Crispy Skin Duck in Plum Sauce. So I present tonight’s dinner. It’s worth it to see that happy look on his (well-fed) face. I got it from here.
PS: this is not a quick recipe. save it for a “night”with your Babycakes. That way you can savour the dish. And the duck of course. *wink*
- 6 Duck breasts
- 1/3 cup Plum Wine – I used Duck sauce from Vinomofo
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Five spice Chinese spice & Salt to your taste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 3 shallots
- 1/4 cup plum sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Plum wine – again used Duck Sauce from Vinomofo
- 400g radish
- 300g carrots
- 300g red cabbage ( asian variety)
- 450g black plums – wahsed, peeled, chopped
- Salt & five spice to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 190C. Place a baking tray with 1cm of water at the base
- Ensure your duck breasts are dry ( remember if it’s not dry it will not brown), score the breast along the skin, apply salt and place in a baking tray lined with foil.
- Mix all other ingredients in a bowl – this is for basting the duck breasts. Baste the duck breasts.
- Place the duck breasts in the oven, total cooking time of 45 minutes, basting often ( I did mine every 5-10 minutes). Then remove from the oven and rest for 8 minutes.
- While the duck roasts in the oven, you can make the sauce – place the sugar in a pan and allow to caramelise
- Once the sugars have caramelised add the spices – ginger, five spices. Then add the shallots – sautee for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the other ingredients in order ( liquids first then vegetables then plums). stir, allow to come to the boil then simmer. Once the vegetables have softened, use a handheld blender to puree. Continue to cook for 20 more minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Using a strainer, extract the smooth sauce from the pulp. I have heard you can use a juicer.
- The juiced left behind from the duck roasting can now be added to the sauce, return the sauce to the heat and allow to thicken ( you can add 1 tablespoon of cornflour if you like).
- Pour the sauce over sliced crispy skin duck breast. Enjoy. You’re welcome.