I’m not a great fan of bananas as a fruit, but I like them in muffins. And as a banana bread… And in Cake. With Chocolate. Mmmm… The only problem is come baking time, I have no bananas, because everyone goes bananas for bananas.
Anyway I was able to rescue a few from the hungry mouths of my children. I hope you serve this up with some vanilla bean Ice cream, that’s how i like mine. And don’t worry, the summer is coming. That means Ice cream recipes and my Vanilla Bean Ice cream recipe will be first up, so look out.
- 5 Lady finger Bananas – overripe, sliced then mashed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 325 g plain flour
- 1/2 cup dutch cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 200g unsalted butter
- 350g dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 & 1/2 cups buttermilk
- preheat your fan assisted oven to 180C. Using a brush, lightly butter a roasting pan then line iwth parchment paper.
- Add lemon juice to mashed bananas in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl put the flour, cocoa powder, bicarb soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk then set aside.
- In the mixing bowl of your mixer (thank you Ms Candy) cream the sugar and butter until fluffy
- Add the eggs to the creamed sugar/butter. Then once incorporated add the Vanilla bean paste.
- Alternate half the flour mixture with half the buttermilk until both are incorporated
- Add the mashed banana/lemon juice to the mixed.
- Pour into the lined roasting pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out dry
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with vanilla bean ice cream… drizzle with caramel sauce. ( bananas, chocolate, vanilla ice cream, caramel – sounds like an Ice Cream Sunday!)